Sophie Hutton is an award-winning specialist speech and language therapist. She is the owner of The Nest Therapy Ltd – a specialist nursery provision for early years children with SEND, which provides independent assessment and interventions for children with a range of speech, language and communication needs to individual families, nurseries, and schools.
Learn Effective Strategies to Support Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In this insightful Early Years TV episode, specialist Speech and Language therapist Sophie Hutton shares her expertise on supporting children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Gain practical tips and interventions to implement right away, for example:
- Start with visual supports like communication boards placed around the room to encourage engagement and communication. Use consistent core vocabulary like “I like it” and “Finished”.
- Try intensive interaction techniques like copying a child’s play and vocalisations to build engagement. Use anticipation games (“Ready, steady, go!”) to develop responsive communication.
- For Gestalt language processors who use scripts or echolalia, provide related chunks of language anchored to emotions. Move to single words when ready.
- Address sensory needs first to regulate children before expecting participation. Provide oral stimulation with chewy foods if needed – Create a sensory diet!
- Share strategies with parents for consistency across environments. Make home boards with preferred foods/activities. Show visual schedules.
- It takes time! Persist with strategies even if children don’t engage right away. Look for small signs of progress.
Join us as we dive deeper into supporting children with ASD through a relationship-based, child-led, approach. Gain practical tips you can use right away to boost communication, sensory processing and emotional regulation.
Academic articles on Gestalt language processing:
This episode is exclusively available for Early Years TV Premium members.
Not a Premium member?
EYTV Premium gives you instant access to all 250+ of our amazing videos with a free Professional Development Certificate for every interview you watch.
And at just £12.50 per month It really is the very best value high quality professional development you can get!